Music Degree Mentor
Advanced Harmony For Tertiary Music
Unlocking the confusion of rules
I offer individual lessons (when needed) in any level or aspect of harmony. Modelling what “real composers do” and relating to the period, genre and style of the set exercise or task, ensures a successful understanding. My vast library of books and scores allows students to examine a wide variety of music and develop a better understanding of harmony and thus gain personal confidence.
Rather than many negative rules DON”T …. I have developed a positive list of guidelines to enable each student to achieve understanding and the necessary skills to meet assessment requirements.
Advanced Composition Students At Tertiary Levels
Achieving your sound
For students of composition, I offer advice on:
- Developing and refining your skills, thus ensuring a thorough understanding of the style you are studying
- Proof reading your compositions
- Understanding your sound
Musicology Essays For Music Degrees
How to write a successful essay for university – years 1, 2 and 3 music students
For students of musicology, I offer advice on:
- Selecting and answering the set question, and which question best suits your understanding and area of interest
- Best choice of repertoire and resources
- Best presentation techniques to ensure you gain the best understanding by fully answering the question.
Music Thesis – Preparing for Honours, Masters and Doctorate in Music
Developing your hypothesis is the key to success
As a Music Thesis mentor, I offer advice on:
- Selecting and refining an area of investigation based on your chosen topic
- Review of proposals
- Development of seminar presentations and practice presentations with written feed back
- Suggesting resources and research material
- Proof reading drafts and final submissions
Bachelor of Music Education
Support for implementing syllabus requirements in your assignments
As an experienced music educator, I offer advice on:
- Designing programs to meet syllabus requirements for stages 5 and 6
- Developing student-centred activities and lesson plans
- Developing repertoire and integrating key learning areas (KLM’s) to best engage students when writing new units of work
- Developing appropriate assessment tasks and marking outlines.
Secondary Music Teachers
Developing sequenced programs and assessments
As a Music Teacher mentor, I offer advice on:
- Developing programs that meet syllabus outcomes and engage a variety of student learning styles
- Writing units of work to meet syllabus outcomes and assessment strategies integrating musicology, aural skills, composition and performance activities.
- Choice of repertoire to best engage students while extending their knowledge and understanding of music concepts.
“With a proven track record of students successfully achieving their desired tertiary music goals, I am confident I am able to help you!”
Need Music Degree Mentoring?
Please contact me for any aspect of support needed for your music degree.
I am also available as a consultant and for one-off lessons for specific music assignments, university music support, composition, and proofreading.